Cryotherapy is a pain treatment that uses a freezing method to deaden irritated nerves. It is also employed in treating some localized cancerous areas in a process called cryosurgery, like prostate cancer and to also in treating abnormal skin cells by dermatologists.
In cryotherapy, a person’s skin is frozen to as low as 30 degrees F for a period of up to 3 minutes. During this time, thermoreceptor sensors in the skin send signals to the brain to send blood to the major organs so as to maintain the normal body temperature in a process known as vasoconstriction. Toxins are removed from peripheral tissues and blood is quickly enriched with nutrients, enzymes, and oxygen. The body then releases endorphins and other healing properties. As it warms up after a session, the energized blood now flows back all through the body in a process called vasodilation.
- A controlled natural death of cells
- Simulation of the lymphatic circulation
This enhances the elimination of toxins and fats from your system.
Benefits of Cryotherapy
Cold is a well-known treatment for pain since time immemorial. This is an anti-inflammatory and regenerative technique that helps to eliminate toxins from the body. A cyosauna session ensures various results for a patient, including the following:
- Antidepressant effect from migraines, fatigue, stress, headaches, burnout, among others
- Weight loss and general body figure improvement
- Cellulite treatment
- Skin rejuvenation and anti-ageing procedure
The major benefits of this procedure include:
- It increases performance: this is mostly referring to athletes who have discovered the use of this technique in fast-healing their joints and muscles. Unlike ice-births, muscles are not frozen and they can easily get back on track without needing time for recovery, plus blood flow is increased throughout the body.
- It decreases inflammation all over the body: cryotherapy stimulates the vagus nerve which controls different functions in the body by communicating nerve impulses to every body organ and thus reducing anxiety and fatigue. This facilitates a general increase in blood flow, fastening the healing process.
- Increased rate of metabolism: the body takes some time to reheat after a cryotherapy session. For a maximum of 3minutes in the machine, the body burns at least 500 to 800 calories and when the skin is cooled to as low as 35 degrees F, it needs a lot of energy to return it to normal body temperature.
- Boosts skin resilience: regular cryotherapy enhances collagen, thus improving the skin’s evenness by eliminating the appearance of cellulite and fatty acid deposits on the skin surface. This gradually reduces the visibility of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin.
- Reduction of chronic fatigue and general body pain: people experience this pain relief differently, for some the effects stay for a shorter period after the session and for others, it stays longer. After about 15 regular sessions, the pain relief is said to act for longer periods of time.
- Boosts happiness: when endorphins are released into the system as a result of a session, they neutralize cortisol, in turn reducing pain perception and boosting one’s moods, making them feel happier.
In order to ensure the patient’s safety and efficiency of the session, the facilities that provide cryotherapy ensure the following measures are followed strictly by both the supporting staff and also the patient.
Cryosauna doors are never locked to allow the client stops the treatment at will, especially when they cannot withstand the cold anymore.
The patient is only provided with gloves, socks, and slippers, and is advised to have a minimal dress code, so as to expose more skin to the cold for treatment. As for women, clothing is optional but male clients must cover their genitals with cotton underwear.
Patients with a goal for weight loss are advised to only get into a session after taking at least a 5-hour feeding break in order to achieve maximum fat and toxin reduction results from it.
In as much as the cryosauna uses liquid nitrogen to produce cool air faster, the machine is created in such a way that the client’s skin is not in contact with the gas but only the cold produced.